Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer in the City

Thanks to the weather in Seattle this weekend, this has turned out to be a great weekend to hang around the city.  In fact, this weather has been going on all week, so it's been a great few days to tool around the city and explore new places.  Earlier this week, after dropping off some papers with the court downtown, I stumbled upon Vessel, a nice citizen's lounge near the federal courthouse.  They don't announce wine as their specialty, in fact it's more of a cocktail lounge.  So I was surprised to find that they had a spectacular rose from Washington on their by-the-glass list.

It was from the Purple Star winery from Richland, a winery I never heard of until this week.  I thought it was a Provence rose (I'm picky about my roses): dry, pale, interesting.  Until the bartender showed me the label.  I didn't know what grape they used, but I could tell it wasn't a 100% Sangiovese or Cabernet.  It was more subtle than that, and I was left feeling like it was one of the Provence grapes like Cinsault, Grenache, or Syrah, or some combination.  So I looked it up.  This little Purple Star is 85% Syrah and 15% Cabernet, a combination that gives depth and interest.

If you're out and about the city, go find that Purple Star rose at Vessel.

No comments :

Post a Comment