Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ballard, The Nerve Center

My nerve center lies within the vascular web of Ballard, which is probably on its third or fourth reincarnation ever since it was annexed by the City of Seattle in 1907.  Since I keep a rather tight schedule, I often find myself grabbing a late working lunch within walking distance of the nerve center.  There is no shortage of food and beverage joints within walking distance, so I really don't have far to go.  Many of them don't open until 4:00 or 5:00, however, which is a little late even for a late lunch.  But one of my favorites, the very old but wise grande dame of Ballard, Hattie's Hat, is open for lunch.  Hattie's has allegedly been around (apparently in the same location) since 1904, when Ballard was still a separate municipality.  Below is an example of the type of liquor license Hattie's enjoyed. 

My Pavlovian response to the pressure cooker environment of litigation is a short trek down Ballard Ave. to Hattie's.  Anyone who has lived in Seattle or Ballard for more than a minute has probably discovered Hattie's.  For me, the place can do no wrong.  I've been known to have an adult beverage at lunch, making Hattie's the perfect place for a 2:00 lunch to release the steam from the pressure cooker.  The last thing I would call it is a "wine bar" (dive, hole-in-the-wall, diner, lunch counter, yes, but not a wine bar) but as it turns out, they actually have a few very drinkable wines on the beverage list.  But I am particularly impressed that they have Anchor Steam on the list, my favorite beer in the whole world.  As long as Hattie's exists, I will be walking there for lunch.

But sometimes the litigation pressure cooker continues on through the end of the day, in which case I am in no mood to walk very far.  I put my reptile skills to good use in these situations and merely slither a few yards across the street to the BalMar, which doesn't open until 5:00.  But if I'm unable to let off steam until 5:00, it provides the perfect venue and has everything I need at that point - a dark room, smart and conversational bartenders, a lounge atmosphere, small bites, good wine, or any kind of cocktail concoction I can come up with.  They have a great list of their own handmade cocktails, but I like to get creative all by myself, which helps to unshackle me from the straight jacket that is the litigation practice.

I don't know how the downtown Seattle attorneys do it.  Talk about pressure cooker!  Yes, they may have a glorious view from a 30th floor picture window, but it's unlikely any of them see fresh air until they leave for the day.  And they definitely can't walk down the street to Hattie's Hat for lunch or soothe the nerves in the dark interiors of the BalMar at happy hour.  Lucky me.

Ballard liquor license, 1906

No comments :

Post a Comment