Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Warming Up My Vacation Skills

This doesn't happen very often - I am taking the week off.  This is my summer vacation.  My last summer vacation was in October 2009.  Yeah, I've taken a few days off here and there, a long weekend now and then, or a quick getaway to BC, but not a real vacation.  The current summer vacation started yesterday and it was very confusing.  Since I am a workaholic, I wasn't sure where to start.  It is a real syndrome that is only exacerbated by the mandatory technology like the "crackberry," the iPad, and gmail.  Not to mention tweeting, which has got to stop.

But one thing I was not confused about was that I would have a beverage, and by beverage I mean wine, duh.  Since one of my missions while on vacation is to be able to be unplanned and spontaneous as much as possible, I tooled around Ballard and found Skillet Diner for a late lunch.  I learned that they prefer to serve Washington wines, which I was pleased to hear.  I had a Washington sauvignon blanc with a very tasty Cobb salad, which I highly recommend (if you haven't noticed already, I am a proud day-drinker).  It was a nice place to drop into in the middle of the afternoon, as they have an open-air dining room, at least during the warm weather, a mandatory long diner counter that doubles as a bar, and a partial view of the kitchen.  Late afternoon was a good time to banter with the staff as it wasn't super busy and they were happy to shoot the breeze with me.  This is a good thing.  I don't know if most of my bartenders know this, but I view them as my therapists most of the time.  Say what you want.

In the next day or two, I am going to Woodinville for my next episode of slithering around the wine bars and tasting rooms.  Since it has been dark and stormy lately, I am anticipating less slithering and more planting my drinking elbow in only a couple of lounges.  I am tardy in picking up my wine club shipment from William Church Winery, another of my favorites and a winery with a very pleasant tasting room.  They focus mostly on reds, but they do a beautiful Viognier.  This shipment includes the 2010 2 Spires, a Syrah/Cabernet blend, and the 2010 Sur La Mer, their flagship, Merlot-dominant Bordeaux blend, perfect for fall sipping or pairing.  I'm already warming up my culinary thought process so I can determine which tasty slab of protein I want to prepare to go with these beauties.  Now I have enough time to do that.


No comments :

Post a Comment